.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

 

Temple 1 maybe

Sky was a bit darker tonight, and I got the 5mm Plossl out. Turbulence was terrible though. Could see stars down to 11.2 mag at least. I think I saw temple 1 with averted vision as a faint smudge. The comet list people now think that the total magnitude rise was fairly small, less than 1 magnitude unit, more like 0.5. John Bortle suggested that, given that the fairly large effect of the impactor produced a small increase in total magnitude, is it possible that when we do see comets increasing by 1-3 magnitudes, we are seeing something catastrophic?

On a lighter note, the Astrologer who is suing NASA over Deep Impact "distorting her horoscope" is likely to have her case heard in late July. She is claiming $8.7 billion Roubles for "moral suffering". Pravda reports "Marina Bai clarified that when her grandfather met her grandmother, he showed her the comet in the sky, and it became the romantic start of their long family life." Now this I doubt, Temple 1 should have never been more than a fuzzy 6th magnitude dot in the sky.

Comments:
Sounds to me like you saw it! I don't know about that lady, out to get rich I suppose. *rolls eyes*
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?